Saturday, January 13, 2018

Surname Saturday ~ LARKIN of Charlestown, Massachusetts


LARKIN / LARKEN

My 10th great grandfather, Edward Larkin (about 1615 – 1652) was admitted as an inhabitant of Charlestown, Massachusetts on 30 July 1638.  He was a wheelwright.  He joined the church on 23 September 1639, and joined the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company in 1644.  In 1647/8 he received a grant of two acres of land at Sandy Bank. 

Edward Larkin’s will published in 1652:
  
"I Edward Larkin being weake in body yitt having perfitt memory and understanding doe make this my last will and Testament in manner and forme following. Imprimis I comitt my soule to God who made it and gave it And I only rely and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, I comitt my body to be decently buried - I also give and bequeath untoo my beloved wife Jone Larkin A full third part of my estate; it being rightly valued, to be first deducted, and more I also give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Jone Larkin the full sume of five pounds likewise to be first deducted out of my estate: And those twoo parts to remaine with my whole estate in her hands untill the tyme of the division of my estate and payment of my childrens portions as hereunder is specified. I also give and bequeath unto my eldest son John Larkin a dubbell portion of my estate after my wife has hers out of the whole and my will is that my Son John shall let his portion remaine in my wifes hands untill he bee twenty and one year old, and then my wife with the other executor to pay his portion to him upon demand: but he or any of my children else doe dye before they have received their portions then it to be equally divided to my wife and the other children who remaine then alive: provided alsoe that if the Lord shall please to take away my wife by death before the childrens portions bee payed then my will is and I desire the Deacons of our Church to joyne with the other executor to so order and dispose of that portions wh. I bequeath to my children as may bee most advantagious to their benefitt untill they have them payed unto themm, Alsoe if my wife shall marry before the legacies be payed then my will is that he whom she marries and she shall retaine the legacies in their hands till the due tyme afore mentioned provided they put in sufficient security that the childrens portions may bee preserved for them. As for my son Thomas and my daughters Elizabeth, Sarah, Johanna and the child with which my wife now goes and is bigg with: I doe hereby will and bequeath unto each of them a equall portion of my estate which remains after my wife and son John have theirs to be payed them by my executors if they live or by the Deacons (of said Church then being) at their Ages of twenty years: but as before if any of them Decease in the mean tyme then the survivors or survivor to have it divided equally amongst them or given to him or her if only surviving."
Witnesses John Greene Edward Larkin.
John Penticost.
This will was presented to ye Court ye 6th of ye (2) 1652 and by them accepted uppon record. p. me Tho. Danforth,
Recorder.
A true copy. Attest. W. E. Rogers. Asst. Register.
Codicil. "As for my daughter Hanna whom my beloved brother and sister Penticost have taken into their hands to keep and provide for I doe give and bequeath unto her ten shillings to be layed out in good books for her at her age of eighteen years to bee delivered unto her. And I Edward Larkin doe entreat my beloved brother Robert Hale to joine with my beloved wife
Jone Larkin and to bee my full and sole executors of this my last will and Testament the day and date before written."

After his death, his widow Joanna married the John Penticost mentioned in the will.  They had at least one son, John Penticost, Jr. born in 1659. I descend from the daughter, Hannah Larkin (1643 – 1704), my 9th great grandmother, mentioned as a foster child to Penticost.  Hannah married John Newell of Charlestown on 15 February 1664/5. 

Some LARKIN resources:

Larkin Family of Rhode Island, by William H. Larkin, 1935, with updates by his grandson, Richard F. Larkin, 1995. 

The American Genealogist, Volume 62, pages 118 – 120.

Ancestry of Colonel John Harrington Stevens and his wife Frances Helen Miller, by Mary Lovering Holman and Winifred Lovering Holman, 1948, Volume 1, pages 144 – 148.

The Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown in the county of Middlesex and Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1629 – 1818, by Thomas Bellows Wyman and Henry Herbert, 1879.

My LARKIN genealogy:

Generation 1: Edward Larkin, born about 1615 in England, died between 15 February and 6 April 1652 in Charlestown, Massachusetts; married about 1635 to Joanna Unknown. She died 26 January 1685/6 in Charlestown.  Nine children.

Generation 2:  Hannah Larkin born 16 January 1643 in Charlestown, died 10 December 1704 in Charlestown; married 15 February 1664/5 in Charlestown to John Newell, son of Andrew Newell and Mary Pitt.  He was born about 1634 probably in Bristol, England, and died 14 October 1704 in Charlestown.  Three children.

Generation 3:  Mary Newell m. Isaac Mirick
Generation 4:  Hannah Mirick m. Thomas Jillings
Generation 5:  Hannah Jillings m. Daniel Glover
Generation 6:  Tabitha Glover m. Thomas Homan
Generation 7:  Betsey Jillings Homan m. Jabez Treadwell
Generation 8:  Eliza Ann Treadwell m. Abijah Hitchings
Generation 9:  Abijah Franklin Hitchings m. Hannah Eliza Lewis
Generation 10: Arthur Treadwell Hitchings m. Florence Etta Hoogerzeil
Generation 11: Gertrude Matilda Hitchings m. Stanley Elmer Allen (my grandparents)


-----------------------------------------


Heather Wilkinson Rojo, “Surname Saturday ~ LARKIN of Charlestown, Massachusetts”, Nutfield Genealogy, posted December 13, 2017, (   https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2018/01/surname-saturday-larkin-of-charlestown.html: accessed [access date]). 

1 comment:

  1. My collateral relatives are Larkins. Samuel Larkin of Charlestown owned Brown Beauty. The mare was loaned to Paul Revere and riders who gave the alarm that the British were coming.
    I always tell people I am related to the horse! The Brits captured the horse and Samuel never got her back. Family legend says she was a nice little mare. Six Larkens signed the public petition against importing tea leading to the Boston Tea Party.

    ReplyDelete